Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Epiphany

This will sound very wanky, but I had a major realisation the other night at the banquet welcoming Janet here. And I spoke about it. The copius previous toasts lubricated the idea, but the emotion behind it was truely heartfelt and genuine.

It had just occurred to me, the big lightbulb going off in my head, of the life changing enormity of the situation I was involved in. I was here in China, in a major historical pottery area, making pots with ancient Chinese clay, using techniques from 4000BC. I was playing my small part of the continuum of ceramic history of The Middle Kingdom. That is a huge concept for a little NZ boy to take in. Don't know where the six degrees of seperation fit in or how much luck had to do with me being here. But I was actually here and actually doing it.

Pretty special time here.

This is the first layout of my installation. The grey pieces are the brick clays, with an 1170 degrees C black glaze used as an oxide wash, which stains the clay a kind of burgundy colour.
The agate ware is grey clay and porcelain clay glazed with lead-based Tang Green glaze.
I wanted to reference the brick and tile factory as well as the historical museum collections we have seen. I am chuffed really.


The factory workers seem to respond to it all too with great interest. Much picking up and muttering about techniques and they give thumbs up to me which is a relief because we have really invaded their space and work time and they only get paid for what they make rather than the time spent here.
We are going to have a morning tea with lots of sweet cakes etc for them.

Jxx

No comments: